All people benefit from consumer protection. We purchase housing, services and other items for daily living. When what is agreed on at the time of the purchase is not honored then an individual has cause to take action. Consumer Protection Rights can cover problems with the following:
- Investment (credit card scams, get-rich-quick schemes, and other investment scams)
- Health (health and fitness clubs, long-term care insurance, medical care, weight loss)
- Automobiles (car repairs, odometer rollback, "lemon law")
- Housing and Home (home repair, landlord-tenant law, warranties, door-to-door sales, telemarketing)
- Entertainment (contest or travel scams, magazine subscriptions, shopping, etc.)
In this section you will find information on how to avoid scams. You will also learn how to file a complaint.
National Consumer Law Center Inc.
The National Consumer Law Center maintains a web page especially for seniors. Legal assistance for attorneys and advocates for older Americans is also provided.
Federal Trade Commission for the Consumer
The Federal Trade Commission for the Consumer protects the consumer rights of Americans. Their site provides information on avoiding scams. It also reports on companies or gimmicks that seem too good to be true. You can also file a complaint directly online from their website.